Answering Your Biggest Question
Making the move to an assisted living community is a big decision. We know you have questions—and probably some doubts, which is natural—so we want to give you as much information as you need to help you through the process.
Top Questions from Potential Residents
Many of our residents have asked us the same questions about Assisted Living and our offerings before they decided to join us. Are any of these topics on your mind?
- Your site says you offer help with bathing and dressing. I don’t need that kind of assistance. Why would I consider Fairhaven?If you’re thinking about assisted living, you may have experienced some difficulties related to everyday tasks but that doesn’t mean you need total hands-on assistance.However, maybe you’d like the convenience of not having to worry about shopping, or laundry, or cooking every day. Or maybe you’d like someone to help keep track of your medications so you don’t worry about not having enough refills on hand, or taking your meds at the wrong time.That’s one of the great things about Fairhaven: we aren’t one-size-fits-all. We can give you as much or as little help as you need.Our assisted living communities emphasize independence and individuality, and we want your life here to be as much like it was before you came as possible—with all of the perks of not having to worry about daily chores or managing your own health care.Whatever your needs are, please talk with us to see if we can provide the level of care you’d like. We’ll walk you through your options—without any pressure at all.
- Will I have to share a room? The short answer is: no. Each suite is private and the doors are offset so you can leave your door open to the hallway and not see into your neighbor’s room across the hall. You can have your own apartment with a bathroom, and a kitchenette. You’ll also have as much time to yourself as you’d like.That said, we don’t think of anyone at Fairhaven as a stranger. We’re family here, and we think you’ll love being part of the gro
- Can my spouse and I move in together, even if only one of us needs assistance? It’s certainly possible. We’d love to chat with you about your situation so that we can assess whether we can accommodate both of your needs. We strive to be flexible and adaptable for the seniors who need us!
- I’m afraid I’ll get lost in a senior living community, or won’t have anyone to talk to.
At Fairhaven, we all live together under one roof, share meals in common areas, and offer a full schedule of activities, events, and wellness programs. We have a salon, a library, and lots of common areas. You can spend as much time with others, or as little, as you’d like. We’re extrovert and introvert friendly.Because our community is small, our staff will get to know you well—your likes and dislikes, your personali
- Can I get help with my health condition at Fairhaven, or do I need to go to a nursing home instead?
That’s a big concern for many prospective residents. The truth is, modern assisted living can handle many health conditions that would have required nursing home care in the past. We have a licensed nurse on call 24/7 and on-site all day, and we have regular on-site visits from physicians, nurse practitioners, physical therapists, and other health care practitioners.Fairhaven’s flexible approach to health care may be just what you’re looking for. If we can’t meet your needs now, we’ll tell you up front. Just ask us if we can help you manage your health-condition now and into the future. We can also help you transition into other facilities if that need arises.
Top Questions from Families
- Is Fairhaven the Right Place for My Loved One? Moving your loved one to an assisted living community is always a difficult decision. You need solid information to move forward and a strong sense of trust in the people who will be providing care for the senior in your life.We’ll do whatever we can to make that process easier for you. At Fairhaven, our goal is to bring a caring and pleasant experience to every interaction. So, let’s address some of the most common questions and concerns for people searching for a home for their loved ones.
- I can see that my dad needs some help with daily tasks, and I’m a little worried about his safety at home, but assisted living is such a big step. How do I know when the time is right?
Moving a loved one to assisted living is a big step, and we know it can cause a lot of stress and worry for your loved one and for you.There is no one-size-fits-all answer, or a list of items to check that means it’s officially time. What we recommend above everything else is talking to someone knowledgeable about senior care, and telling that person the signs you’re seeing and what worries you.We’d be happy to have that conversation with you whenever you’re ready. What we can do is help you understand all your options and decide whether Fairhaven is a choice that makes sense.
- It’s clear that my mom can no longer live at home alone, but she’s completely opposed to the idea of assisted living. How do I convince her? It’s hard for your mom to come to terms with leaving a home she loves. That’s a normal reaction when someone suggests it’s time to consider an alternative. Change is hard for all of us.Fairhaven can help families make the transition easy. Our team is reassuring, family-oriented, and our building is comfortable with services that simplify life. So our residents can spend more time being and less time doing chores. It may also be a relief for your loved one to find old friends or make new ones.We know the words “assisted living” can mean different things to different people, especially if they associate assisted living with a nursing home. However, modern assisted living is a much different experience from what many people have in mind.We have designed Fairhaven to be a place where staff and residents become a family and for the building and grounds to feel like home. Because it is home, and we’re proud of that here. We have delicious meals together. We have special events in-house and go out for picnics, shopping, and other activities. We make time for hobbies and exercise. We go above and beyond so that everyone here can feel connected, safe, and cared for.There’s no one single thing you can say to convince a parent that assisted living will be a good move.However, if your loved one is open to conversation, we encourage you to come for a tour together and meet our staff personally. We would be proud to show you around, maybe share a meal with you, and have you experience Fairhaven for yourself. It can be a positive first step toward making a decision you’re both happy with.
- Will my loved one have to live with a stranger? It’s hard for your mom to come to terms with leaving a home she loves. That’s a normal reaction when someone suggests it’s time to consider an alternative. Change is hard for all of us.Fairhaven can help families make the transition easy. Our team is reassuring, family-oriented, and our building is comfortable with services that simplify life. So our residents can spend more time being and less time doing chores. It may also be a relief for your loved one to find old friends or make new ones.We know the words “assisted living” can mean different things to different people, especially if they associate assisted living with a nursing home. However, modern assisted living is a much different experience from what many people have in mind.We have designed Fairhaven to be a place where staff and residents become a family and for the building and grounds to feel like home. Because it is home, and we’re proud of that here. We have delicious meals together. We have special events in-house and go out for picnics, shopping, and other activities. We make time for hobbies and exercise. We go above and beyond so that everyone here can feel connected, safe, and cared for.There’s no one single thing you can say to convince a parent that assisted living will be a good move.However, if your loved one is open to conversation, we encourage you to come for a tour together and meet our staff personally. We would be proud to show you around, maybe share a meal with you, and have you experience Fairhaven for yourself. It can be a positive first step toward making a decision you’re both happy with.
- Can my loved one get help with her health condition at New Haven, or will she need to go to a nursing home?If you’re looking into assisted living for the first time, you may be surprised at how many health conditions can be managed in a modern assisted living community—including many that would have required nursing home care just a few years ago. We have a flexible, responsive approach to health care that’s just what many of our residents need.Our licensed nurse is on call 24/7 and on-site all day, and we schedule regular on-site visits from physicians, nurse practitioners, physical therapists, dentists, and other health professionals.The only way to know for sure if we can manage your loved one’s health condition is to ask us. We’re happy to give you a full picture of the care we provide and assess whether that’s sufficient for your senior’s needs.
- Is there a risk to waiting a little longer to make this decision?Because assisted living is a big decision—and, speaking honestly, a considerable expense—it’s usually better to err on the side of caution and make the move before your loved one experiences a health emergency that limits your choices.That doesn’t mean you should rush through the research process. Do take the time to gather information on every assisted living community you’re considering and weigh your options thoughtfully.Many preferred assisted living residences have waiting lists for new residents. So, we recommend that you don’t wait until you’re struggling to keep up with your loved one’s care needs, or until your loved one has an accident or becomes ill. It can be difficult to make important decisions when you’re under stress.Making the decision earlier means you’ll have more choices, and it also may mean that your loved one will be in a supportive, responsive environment before a health emergency occurs.
How Does Fairhaven Work with Healthcare Providers
- As a healthcare provider you may be wondering: is Fairhaven the right place for my patient?To ensure Fairhaven is able to care for your patient as changes occur with their health, we offer a variety of personalized services that are tailored to meet their needs. You will find a trustworthy partner in Fairhaven. We are ready and excited to care for your patient. Fairhaven’s commitment to you is that we will provide an environment where your patient will continue to thrive.Learn more about Health Coordination
Senior Care Support Groups
We have a Senior Care Support Group here at Fairhaven for you and your loved ones. Our support group is here to help you and your family through all of the ups and downs of this journey. Together, can we help you and your loved ones live better.
Caring for a loved one as he or she ages is a responsibility that can bring up all kinds of emotions. You may experience the positives of love and tenderness, the very real stresses of dealing with chronic health problems, and many other complicated emotions.
Caretaking stresses can take a significant toll on your physical and emotional well-being, which is why establishing a support system is so important. Meeting regularly with others in your situation can bring an immense sense of relief and connectedness. Caregivers need care too.
- Our groups give you the opportunity to make new friendships, and you’ll also learn about:The latest tips and techniques for home care
Solutions for challenging behaviors
Community resources that can give you the support you need
Please join us! Feel free to come and simply listen, or share your stories with people who understand what you’re going through. We’d love to see you there.Learn More about our Senior Support Group
Fairhaven was originally built through the efforts of our community and we welcome community involvement. Contact our Life Enrichment Director to discuss upcoming opportunities or propose new ways to come volunteer some time with our residents.
Contact Us about Volunteer opportunities
There are many benefits to pet ownership.
We conditionally welcome small pets (25 pounds and under) here at Fairhaven.
Contact Us to talk to us about your pet.
The cost of assisted living is a top concern for most of the people who contact us. Here’s what you need to know about Fairhavens pricing:
We’re a private-pay community. That means we don’t accept Medicare.
We charge a set monthly rate depending on suite type and location. Fairhaven’s rates are competitive with those of premier assisted living communities throughout the state of Texas. Please contact us for a direct quote that’s customized for you. We charge a one-time community fee at the start of a resident’s stay to cover costs related to admission and suite preparation.
There are many options for covering the cost of assisted living. Long-term care insurance is a good place to start, but there are other possibilities as well. For example, did you know that the Veterans Aid and Attendance pension helps reduce care costs? That’s just one of many programs that may help you afford the move to assisted living. Let us know your situation and we’ll help you determine whether help is available for you.
- What Your Fees CoverSome senior living communities emphasize expensive décor and an atmosphere that feels like a high-priced resort. There’s nothing wrong with that, but at Fairhaven, we prefer something different: a smaller, more intimate experience that feels like home. We prioritize being friendly, comfortable, and welcoming.Our pricing reflects the fact that we have a high number of staff available to take care of your needs. Our staff make it possible for us to give you personalized, responsive care and to tailor our programs just for you.You’ll feel the difference from the moment you step inside.
Options for Veterans
We love our military veterans! If you served in the armed forces, we make a special effort to honor you in our communities on national holidays and other special moments. Even more importantly, based on your service, there may be financial assistance for you to make the move to assisted living.
We work with various veterans assistance organizations to help determine if potential residents qualify for benefits from the Veterans Administration. Reach out and we’ll help you get started!